More is More

One of the most special things I was able to do on my recent trip to Los Angeles was visit Tony Duquette's legendary home Dawnridge and meet Hutton Wilkinson.  The timing couldn't have been more perfect since the Tony Duquette for Coach collection was just launching with parties while I was in town. For those of you who don't know, Hutton Wilkinson started working for Tony Duquette in 1971 and after the designer's death in 1999, he has been keeping his designs and legacy alive.  When the first Tony Duquette book was released in 2007, Bergdorf Goodman dedicated their holiday windows to the designer and I remember attending the book party.  Never in my wildest dreams could I imagine that I would eventually visit Dawnridge in person. Just another one of those pinch me moments that have come about because of my blog.  

While there, my friend and I noticed a more modern house next door that seemed to be connected to Dawnridge but I forgot to ask about it.  Fast forward to the March issue of Harper's Bazaar where I found out that it's Hutton Wilkinson's new house that he shares with his wife of 35 years, Ruth.  He says it's his most personal design and full of over the top detail, gorgeous colors, and lots of gold. The photos make the perfect juxtaposition to some of the new pieces from the Tony Duquette for Coach collection.  Just another example of how art, design, fashion, and jewelry can inspire each other. And maybe if I keep dreaming, someone will buy me that fabulous malachite ring for my birthday.  Hint, hint. 

















Photos by Christopher Sturman for Harper's Bazaar.

0 comments:

Post a Comment