Oscars 2014 Red Carpet Recap

I debated a few times on which actress and which color to begin my recap of the fashions at the 2014 Oscars.  You really can't go wrong with Cate Blanchett and since so many of the ladies were in light colors, this is where I'm beginning.  A few people commented that some of the glittery gowns were reminiscent of ice skating costumes, but they were all gorgeous. Cate's beautiful waves complimented the details on her Armani dress perfectly as well as those of the Oscar she won for Blue Jasmine. 

Do I dare say though that I thought Sarah Paulson looked even better in nude glittery dress by Elie Saab. I'm also loving her new darker do too. 

Kate Hudson looked like a chic superhero in her caped Versace gown.  The cape came off for the award ceremonies and she looked even better. I want whatever skin care products she's using now!

Naomi Watts looked lovely in white Calvin Klein. She's another one who gets lovelier as she ages. 

I never thought I'd have Calista Flockhart on my best dressed list but I loved her white Andrew Gn gown.  The details and fit were perfection and the emeralds were the perfect final touch. 

I'm a little on the fence about Jennifer Garner in Oscar de la Renta but her hair and makeup looked beautiful. 

Jessica Biel also looked beautiful but maybe a little washed out in Chanel. 

Kerry Washington also looked beautiful but a little wrinkled in Jason Wu. 

Also on the fence about Penelope Cruz in Giambattista Vali that veers a little into Roman toga territory. 

Can someone please find out what shampoo and conditioner Jared Leto uses on his luscious locks?! He  gave one of the best speeches of the night and definitely deserved his Oscar win for best supporting actor and crowd award for best hair.  I would have preferred a black bow tie but I'll let it slide. 

Matthew McConaughey looked dapper as well and his wife Camila Alves looked chic in pink.  Not sure who made her dress but I loved it. I also loved his speech.  I don't think many people would have ever thought it possible to refer to Matthew as "Oscar winner Matthew McConaughey" but it's another example to never stop chasing your dreams.  

I'm so over Jennifer Lawrence in Dior but the red was a beautiful color.  A few of the ladies had peplums on their dresses so I guess they are back. You've been warned. 

Bette Midler is a legend and I loved her in custom Reem Acra.  A lot of the older ladies knocked it out of the park this year. 

I wish Meryl Streep had worn color but you can never go wrong in Lanvin.  And she's Meryl Streep so she could wear a garbage bag and still look amazing. 

Glenn Close was also at Cafe Cluny last weekend and just being in the same room as her was awe inspiring.  I loved this black Zac Posen gown she wore to the Oscars. I'm a sucker for long sleeve and wish designers would make more dresses with them! 

I thought singer Karen O looked lovely in Camilla Staerk to attend her first Oscars. 

I almost started with Charlize Theron in black Dior with nude straps.  She's almost a dead ringer for Madame X by John Singer Sargent.  Hands down one of the best dressed of the night. 

There seemed to be mixed reviews for Julia Roberts in black Givenchy.  I actually loved the dress but not the visible roots showing against her new blonder hair.  I mean who let her out of the house with roots?!

It honestly looked like Olivia Wilde just had a big lunch and wasn't pregnant in her black Valentino dress.  Some ladies have all the luck.  I wish I had a photo of her with her baby daddy Jason Sudeikis.  They make a very cute couple.

Can't believe Idina Menzel was the only one in dark green.  I thought her Vera Wang gown was gorgeous and it was the color I kept seeing the most on the fall runways. 

Also need to find out the name of Sandra Bullock's dermatologist and/or plastic surgeon.  She's another one who gets better with age and her navy blue Alexander McQueen gown was perfect for the Oscars. 

Amy Adams looked like a tall drink of water in her navy blue Gucci gown but I just wish her hair had been different.  But I will always like her nonetheless. 

If you haven't watched House of Cards yet, immediately sign up for Netflix and stop what you're doing to binge watch both seasons! Kevin Spacey is amazing and I love his navy tux.  I don't think it looked quite so bright blue in real life so no comments on the color. 

I saved the best for last.  Lupita Nyong'o hasn't made a misstep all awards season and the Oscars were no exception. She said the pale blue color reminded her of her home in Nairobi, Kenya and was designed with Prada.  The gold accessories were a perfect match for the little gold man she took home as well. I really can't wait to see what the future holds for Lupita. 

I can't even imagine all the hard work that goes into award season and I send a thank you out to all the designers, stylists, makeup artists, and hair stylists who worked tirelessly to bring us all these beautiful looks for the past month.  It's been fun.  Hope you all enjoy your much needed vacations! 

Photos from Vogue and Huffington Post. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment